Tuesday, September 20, 2011

oh my job, oh my job.

I'm looking through pictures of the ruin that was my neighborhood the week following the tornado. Wondering if it would be tactful to bring my laptop to work tomorrow morning to share these photos with some people.

We have a couple of big, BIG corporate people coming to our store tomorrow, and one of the reasons for their visit is to hear from the survivors about their experiences, and take notes on what to do the next time a natural disaster hits, so that the company is better prepared to help their associates.

I'm sort of excited to share my story, hoping that I can tell it in full, and that these people will actually listen to me. Also, I wonder how I can convey the total loss to them. You've all seen the photos and the footage of Joplin... but you cannot grasp how devastating it truly is without seeing it with your own eyes... smelling it...

I wonder if they'll drive through town. I would suggest that they go stand on the field at Joplin High School, and just spin in a circle. The scene from there is heart wrenching.

I have mixed feelings about this visit. I feel that it's good that they want to know how to help better. But I hope that they remember that they have real people that went through a real experience here. And that the entire city was affected. Just because their store is still up and running, and that they have employees that are fine and still working, doesnt mean that there isnt hurt and a scar on the heart of Joplin. That the tornado isnt still in the front of many people's minds. I mean, some people have to drive through it every day. We arent going to forget about it, or move on yet. And I dont think we should be expected to.

So I'm hoping for compassion here. I'm hoping that these people can feel it, the pain, the loss, and also the hope we have. I hope I dont walk into a fake smile, and empty words that try to comfort. Not only do they have associates that lost, but we also deal with customers who've lost as well. Joplin's in this together.

Should I bring pictures? I just might... "This was my home. My husband and 12yr old daughter walked away from that. And we're going to rebuild in the same place. You want to help your associates? Then just remember that we have a lot to deal with after a natural disaster. We need support. Compassion. Understanding. Be there for us. Ask how you can help. Ask how we're doing. Dont forget. Just, dont forget."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, here is my opinion... I would take the pictures so they will see exactly what you and many others have had to deal with everyday. If they drive around town and see it now they may not be able to grasp it totally since 95% of the debris has been removed. Sadly, there are peoplefrom other towns that have a "this won't happen to me" attitude. Maybe if they see your personal pics they will realize how hard it has effected you and all of the rest of us that have suffered and continue to suffer with this everyday.